A qualified and knowledgeable source of advice for Directors and Senior Leaders
Helen is a Chartered Fellow of the Institute of Occupational Health and Safety, a Prince 2 Practitioner and a former Environmental Health Officer. This gives her a broad view of safety and health and a unique perspective that she brings to her clients. She is tertiary qualified in:
- Occupational health and safety
- Environmental health (vet.aux)
- Public health
- Marine geography
Helen takes a practical, business focused approach to consultancy. She works primarily with government and charitable / not for profit organisations and specialises in supporting Senior Leaders and Directors with health and safety.
Experienced and proven across a range of compliance activities
With a strong background in safety, health and environmental management across multiple sectors, Helen has a wealth of experience. Some of the projects she has been involved in include:
- Leading the development of the Business Leaders Health and Safety Forum CEO risk toolkit and Digging Deeper Risk Guides
- Leading the development of the Business Leaders Health and Safety Forum Monitoring What Matters guide
- Providing occupational health information and advice to the Independent Health and Safety Taskforce
- Providing advice to Government as a member of the Expert Design Group for SafePlus
- Providing advice to the Ombudsman in respect of prisoner transportation
- Analysing safety systems as part of the investigation into the grounding of the Rena for Maritime New Zealand and NZ Inc.
- Reviewing Maritime New Zealand as a compliance agency for health and safety and hazardous substances
- Supporting the Search and Rescue Sector to improve health and safety performance.
Helen is a member of national and international professional safety organisations:
- Institute of Occupational Safety and Health — Chartered Fellow member (CFIOSH)
- NZ Institute of Safety Management — professional certified member (CNZISM)
- International Institute of Risk and Safety Management – Full member (MIIRSM)
- Registered European Safety and Health Manager (EurOHSM)
- Registered health and safety consultant (OSHCR-UK)
- Member of the Institute of Directors (MINSTD)
- Chair of the All of Government Expert Advisor Panel to the Government Health and Safety Lead
Helen regularly writes articles on health and safety and related topics for various NZ publications, including for HRINZ (Human Resources Institute NZ) and Safeguard magazines. Have a look at our publications page to read some of these.
Helen was also a member of the IOSH Networks and International Committee from inception to 2016 – this was a governance committee for the worlds largest health and safety professional body, and she was the National Operations Manager of the NZISM from September 2012 to January 2014.